I’ve yet to comment on 2011 coming to a close, so I’ll do it now.
2011 was an interesting year - I learnt skills in areas I didn't even know were available to me, gained a lot of experience using multiple game engines/technology, and on top of that played a metric fuck tonne of games.
Unfortunately there were no releases from me/Ruffian in 2011 and there’s nothing I can talk about regarding future projects. That being said, Kinect Star Wars just saw its release, and I did a little bit of level design work on that. It seems to be getting average reviews from games press with some more favourable reviews from generalist media. The Internet is ablaze with talk of the dance mode – I think it’s rather amusing.
Anyway, where was I? Oh, yes...
Last year my plan was to finish a horror game each month - I failed miserably, but did manage to complete my other task, which was to finish the half-life anthology for the first time (wee write ups of these are linked below).
On top of that, I managed to play some other Half-Life mods such as the rather special, “Someplace Else” – a mod that manages to make Xen fun (yes, it’s possible), and I finally got around to playing Portal, and bloody good it was too!
…which brings me to this year’s challenge; I’m going to play through Half-Life 2, both it’s episodes, and Portal 2. I plan to start some time next month.
A couple of quick thoughts…
- Loving online games (Gotham City Impostors, Killzone 3)
- Loving my iPad (the GTA III port is great)
- Loving cheap games on Steam (especially the Christmas offers)
- Loving my Playstation Vita (Lumines is akin to crack)
- Not loving my Nintendo 3DS (but Resident Evil: Revelations is great)
- Loving LoveFilm (catching up on old classics)
- Not loving Netflix (but the anime selection is worth the subscription)
I’m currently developing a UDK game under the amusing working title of “Shootan”, updates can be found via the label here.